So, this month’s hive mama is Erin from Billy Button Design. Her choice of blocks are “Road to Tennessee”. Just before I saw her post about this month’s bee, I was actually going to make these blocks for the placemats. But Erin’s instruction was from Jan at Isisjem for the Bee a Brit Stingy group and a bit different from what I did. I don’t really know which is better.
What I did for my own project was cutting every bits in size and shape before stitching together because that way I can follow the edge of fabric to find 1/4″ seam allowance. It took more time probably but no ripping up!
For Erin, I followed the instruction because I don’t want to be different from the rest of hive. I cut all the fabric in square shape including white ones to be triangle shapes.
This method is very easy to cut the fabric but I think very difficult to stitch to the right shape. If you stitch a tiny tiny bit off from a diagonal line of the white fabric(which is the seam), it will be crooked. If you don’t use sharp or very thin marker, you can’t find the exact diagonal line(I use mechanical pencil which is never dull). I did everything very carefully but I had to rip and re stitch a several of them before putting blocks together. It’s just the way.
Anyway, I am happy with the finished blocks. I hope Erin likes them too.
Oh and I made this from the scrap triangles.
Have a nice weekend!