So I spent last two weeks making this T-shirts quilt for a customer. Materials are from baby gros to football jerseys in various size. I didn’t want to cut into any prints if possible so they are cut into different sizes and fitted back together to became one.
As you know, T-shirts are stretchy. To make process easy, I know a lot of people attach some stabiliser to the back of T-shirts. But I don’t like the stiffness created by stabiliser so I opted it out (who doesn’t like a challenge!).
Cutting and piecing wasn’t that difficult. Just needed to be extra careful than usual. Pinning quilt sandwich took a little bit longer to straiten everything but just a bit.
Then came to quilting, it was difficult. The stretchy part just kept moving and I was constantly adjusting quilting foot height to be high enough not to shift fabric but low enough not to skip stitches. And a lot of pinning!
Mostly I quilted by outlining prints and filling background with something. Each panel got all different quilting and custom quilting.
Those printed parts don’t stretch(should be a good thing) at all and quilting foot doesn’t slide well over the prints which means foot shifted a whole part unexpectedly. And also because I didn’t want to make holes by pinning those printed area, I had to go really slowly outlining those parts.
Most prints didn’t get quilted because creating holes on them will damage it, I think. However some prints were quite big to be unquilted and I had to quilt, like Sonic above.
And some fancy grown up quilting too!
I did a lot of unpicking to reduce some puckering which happened whatever I tried. It looks quite different from usual quilts but that is what it is, I think.
Quilted background where is wide enough to have some motifs have got very nice texture actually and I liked it. I might need to investigate about prints a bit more though.
It’s 56″ by 77″, single bed size quilt. All the sashing and border are 1″ wide.
Thank you for having me to make this quilt!