Polygon quilt

It’s been a while since the last time I took part in the mini quilt challenge by Curated Quilts. This time, the theme was ‘polygon’ which is really really broad, isn’t it. And I decided to do something.

First, I thought about some random polygon shapes nested or something. But it didn’t grow to any better idea. After pondering the idea, I thought about Japanese Kasuri or Ikat patterns. They are created with weaving tie dyed yarns to create geometric patterns. Some are simple as stripe and some are really complicated.
There is a pattern called ‘Yagasuri’ which means arrow patterned Kasuri. The design was based on the shape of the arrow’s fletching or feather.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yagasuri_patan.png
It’s a tessellation pattern and overall pattern normally.

To apply this to the theme polygon and my quilt, I decided to use just the shape created with two diamond shapes. No repeating and no arrow shaft. This reminded me of Tangram games though.

Mini quilt challenge has limited colour pallet of navy, olive green, rust, stone, eggshell and cream for this challenge. I picked only three colours from them, navy, eggshell and cream. I added cream because both navy and cream had dandelion seed print. The eggshell or off white background fabric has letters printed in white.

Those strips were 1/2″ wide. That is because other wise they would end up huge within the limited space of up to 16″. The top, above, was finished around 12 1/2″ by 12 1/2″.

And then quilting.

I had this quilting in my head from the start. The reason was it represents warp thread of weaving and zig-zag lines can show those arrow fletchings were in the right places. Also to show how you put the colour changes the direction of arrow. And then a bit of break to change the texture of quilting.

Then a big thinking time of how to quilt. I wanted some ghost quilt patterns. I wanted it to be simple but full of texture.

All the straight lines are parallel to the lines of the shape and I added four ghost patterns. The direction of quilting was changed without any pre-plan. All quilted with a straight line ruler while free motion quilting. Those gaps between quilting lines are mainly 1/8″ and some are 1/4″.

After quilting, it measured 11 1/2″. Facing finish ate a bit more of quilt and it is now 10 3/4″. Just big enough for the submission!